What if I don't believe the criminal history applies to me?

If you, as the applicant, dispute the accuracy of information obtained by the Screening Unit from police records or deny that the information relates to you, you should let the Screening Unit know so that we can help you take steps to have this corrected.

The Screening Unit may require further information from you about your previous addresses and for you to provide additional documentation providing proof of identity.  It may also be necessary for you to contact the relevant police service to ensure that your personal information is amended so that it is recorded correctly.

Where there is a dispute over your identity or criminal history, no assessment will be completed until the dispute has been resolved.